Search

2007-09-03

Labor Day Movie - Horus, Prince of the Sun (subtitled)

(Update: This video has since been removed from Youtube.  Sorry.)

Put down that pencil, soldier! Repeat after me! To-labor-day is Labor Day! Go hug a union worker, without whom you wouldn't have the weekend, the minimum wage, child labor laws, living wages, health and safety laws, the public school system and more.

I've uploaded this some weeks ago, and was waiting for the perfect opportunity. I'd say today is the best time, don't you? So here we go - Horus, Prince of the Sun, with English subtitles!

For comparison's sake, I'd say the older fansub - the one you can download directly from the links section - is the better one. This newest subtitle set tries to sound more conversational, more casual. These sort of things are always judgement calls, and only highlights that, yes, reading a couple lines of subtitled text are a poor substitute for hearing and knowing the spoken language. But, until we are all fluent in Japanese, this is our best second choice. Don't even get me started on dubbing.

Enjoy Isao Takahata and company's groundbreaking masterpiece from 1968. Bring your own popcorn. Play some Pink Floyd records (I'm playing Obscured by Clouds right now). And stop working! Unless you have no other choice - courtesy of President Stupid and the GOP.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for uploading! "Horus" is truly a wonderful movie, the best of the Toei classics. By the way, "Iblard Jikan" was uploaded on Dailymotion. You can see it here:
Part 1: http://www.dailymotion.com/search/ghibli/video/x2urgb_iblard-jikan-partie-12_creation
Part 2: http://www.dailymotion.com/tetsukyoushin/video/4806432

Daniel Thomas MacInnes said...

Thank you very much, I'm glad that you liked it. Thanks for passing that along, too.

Steve Spiegel said...

Daniel, these links are disabled, but I just watched Horus on anilinkz, which was linked to a 2009 Youtube file. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOSAYlEoWdM

Anyway, Horus was definitely a fascinating film. It seems like the 60s were the most revolutionary times for filmmaking, and this is no exception. There's not much use ranting about it since you've written so many things on it that I can finally read and understand, but I will emphatically agree that Hilda was one of the most compelling characters I've seen in any anime or film.

I'll be watching this again soon, and will be sure to pass it on to my friends.

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover